[ale] Linux screen captures

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 17 14:48:38 EDT 2002

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 02:45:49PM -0400, Adrin wrote:
> The was a program in Solaris that allowed you to capture the
> screen. Be it the hole screen or just a window.  In M$ you
> can do it by PRT-SCR key combos. Is there a command to do
> this in KDE???

The standard tool that comes with all X Windows distros including
XFree86 is xwd. For details see the man page. However it is a somewhat
cryptic UNIX tool from the good old days. There are several other
utilities that do this too (some of which use xwd on the backend)
including xv (usually used for viewing pictures). I would look
around on freshmeat.net for other utilities that do this too.
In fact that's where I would have looked first before sending mail
to the ALE list.
Steven A. DuChene      linux-clusters at mindspring.com
                      sduchene at mindspring.com

        http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene/