[ale] (FA)Q: installed kernel SRPM - now what?

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Sat Aug 17 10:20:59 EDT 2002

Mike -

Thanks for the note.

That may be the problem.

On 16 Aug 2002, Mike Panetta wrote:

> Did you really create the /usr/src/redhat directory?  If you did, did
> you also create the SOURCES, SPECS, BUILD, RPMS/{i386, i486, i586, i686,
> athlon, noarch}, and SRPMS dirs too?  If you did not the RPM will not
> build (RPM stupidly IMO does not create the dirs for you if they do not
> exist).

Installing the 'rpm' required that I create '/usr/src/redhat' and the
install itself created the ./SOURCES and ./SPECS directories. I innocently
assumed I had found a rule here.  I'll create a few of those and see if it
helps. Do I need a full family of RPMS/{i386, ..., noarch}? (I am guessing
"yes.")

 - John Mills

---