[ale] Building a server for a harsh-ish environment

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sat Aug 17 09:29:51 EDT 2002

On Friday 16 August 2002 07:33 pm, you wrote:
> I have a client for whom I'm likely to build a Linux
> web/mysql server in the near future. Its only job will
> be to maintain a small (<10MB) DB and serve up Zope
> pages related to that DB, strictly for internal use.
> So far, no problem, I can build the required machine
> from new parts for a couple of hundred $$.
>
> The problem is, the machine will live in a building
> where the A/C is not very reliable.....

A few weeks ago I bought a new mobo with a 1.7ghz
Intel celeron. You can put your hand on the processor
heat sink fins and it's actually cool to the touch. The only
heat in the box comes from the power supply, and perhaps
a bit from the hard drive.

Quite a difference from the Pentium IIII a friend bought recently -
which would make a good space heater.

Regards,
Irv

---