[ale] Building a server for a harsh-ish environment

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 16 19:33:11 EDT 2002

I have a client for whom I'm likely to build a Linux
web/mysql server in the near future. Its only job will
be to maintain a small (<10MB) DB and serve up Zope
pages related to that DB, strictly for internal use.
So far, no problem, I can build the required machine
from new parts for a couple of hundred $$.

The problem is, the machine will live in a building
where the A/C is not very reliable. It's possible
that the temperature in the room where this machine
lives may occasionally reach 90F. I need it to
be reliable, not fast, so I'd really like to build
something like a 200Mhz P2 or similar, rather than
one of the 1.5Ghz monsters that seem to be growing
on trees these days. However, I want to build it
from new parts. So does anyone know of a source
for such things? Or would it be reasonable to
under-clock a faster chip to reduce its heat
output? Are there mobos out there that will
support lower clock speeds than 500Mhz?

Thanks,

-- Joe
 "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
 sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and the
 leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - J. Knapka

---