[ale] PCMCIA-based WiFi cards?

Bao C. Ha bao at hacom.net
Fri Aug 16 15:43:33 EDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 03:11:35PM -0400, Fulton Green wrote:

Hi Fulton,

> I know someone posted something about a US Robotics wireless PCMCIA card
> here recently. I'm assuming that works with Linux, but that's not the
> question ... rather, if you take a look at
>
> http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS
>
> and skip to the "wireless" cards section, then to the Orinoco-based cards,
> in the middle of that section there is a comment about PrismII-based cards,
> presumably listed below the comment, that mentions they have "limited
> functionality". How so?

You will need to go to http://www.goonda.org/wireless/prism2/
and get the 0.8.3 Prism2 firmware update.  The US Robotics one
has the older 0.7.6, at least on those that I have.

Limited functionlities just mean that many options of the
iwconfig may not work.  It should work fine as an AP client.
There may be problems when you are trying to do other stuff
like 802.11 Ad-Hoc, ...  Besides the native wlan-ng driver,
the host_AP driver also works rather well, see the URL
http://hostap.epitest.fi/.

Bao

--
Bao C. Ha                    voice: (310) 675-3510
8D66 6672 7A9B 6879 85CD  42E0 9F6C 7908 ED95 6B38

---