[ale] OT: pc cameras and linux

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Aug 16 09:38:49 EDT 2002

I'll concur. I have a Creative Video Blaster WebCam Plus that hooks up
through a USB port. It's identified in Linux's USB registry as a "WebCam 3",
which is what it's known as outside the Americas. Works like a charm on
most modern systems, though I did see a crash or two with an earlier
kernel when I tried to hook it up to my 233 MHz notebook. I think it's
around $60.

OTOH, I also have a much older Logitech/Connectix QuickCam VC that was also
USB-connected. Though the specs were closed back when it was usable in
Win98, I understand that there's now a reverse-engineering project going on
for it on SourceForge.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 08:06:41PM -0400, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> If USB, the ones from creative labs seem to work.  The video blaster
> ones.  It folds in half for some odd reason.
>
> At 07:49 PM 8/15/02 -0400, John Wells wrote:
>
> >Can anyone recommend a good, cheap pc camera that works under linux?

---