[ale] bellsouth static ip

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 15 19:46:13 EDT 2002

Ugg. Bellsouth tech support for DSL service.

I have a static IP from Earthlink. It uses PPPoE. But the connection is
known on their end to be a static IP so the just assign the same one to
my login name. I suspect that Bellsouth is "supposed" to do something
along those lines. I would not be suprised if the "append %static" to
the login is what _they_ are supposed to do in their setup!

If you know the IP address you are supposed to be using, use it in the
pppd option area of pppoe. That might force a working connection. Or it
might dump lots ofcrap into Bellsouth log files. Either, it sounds like
fun!