[ale] Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on RH7.1

Mike Millson mgm at atsga.com
Thu Aug 15 17:25:29 EDT 2002

I'm trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 on RH7.1. Anyone out there w/ experience
installing Oracle that can give me some guidance on the following questions?

1) There are shared memory parameter requirements for SHMMAX, SHMMIN,
SHMMNI, and SHMSEG. How do I tell what these values are on my system so I
know if I have to change them or not? I looked in
/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/asm/shmparam.h but didn't see any clues in the
ouput below.

#ifndef _ASMI386_SHMPARAM_H
#define _ASMI386_SHMPARAM_H

#define	SHMLBA PAGE_SIZE		 /* attach addr a multiple of this */

#endif /* _ASMI386_SHMPARAM_H */

I did cat/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax, and got 33554432, so apparently these
things have values, I just don't know where they are set or how to find out
the values for SHMMIN, SHMMNI, and SHMSEG.

2) If I need to set these parameters, can I just add them to shmparam.h
below the #endif statement as follows, then recompile? How do I know that I
won't be hosing up my system?
#define	parareter value

3) There are semaphore parameter requirements. I checked in
/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/sem.h, and it looks like I am all set
except for SEMOPM. Oracle requires 100, and I have a value of 32. Can I
change to 100 and recompile my system w/o hosing my system?

Thank you,
Mike

---