[ale] OT: speech recognition software

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 15 14:51:11 EDT 2002

David Pogue of the NYT has a wonderful article today explaining why speech
recognition sotfware will never be 100% effective. He says this as an avid
user of the software. But he listed a series of phrases that he spoke
alongside what the software "heard".

What I said -> What was transcribed:

* bookmark it -> book market
* Motorola -> motor roll a
* modem port -> mode import
* a procedure -> upper seizure
* and then stick it in the mail -> and dense thicket in the mail
* movie clips -> move eclipse
* I might add -> I my dad
* inscrutable -> in screw double
* hyphenate -> -8
* suffocate -> Suffolk 8
* a case we summarily dismissed -> a case we so merrily dismissed
* or take a shower -> Ortega shower
* the right or left -> the writer left
* oxymoron -> ax a moron
* ArialPhone guy -> aerial fungi

So, how do you explain to the software "That ain't what I meant!"? (or "That
ain't what I mint!")

---