[ale] Re: du help?

Bill Sirinek sirinek at enteract.com
Thu Aug 15 12:16:16 EDT 2002

Its usually best to specify -k to du since the du command on pretty much
any other unix (including the bsds if I am not mistaken) reports sizes in
blocks of 512 bytes.

This is a moot point if you will only use linux and never ever touch
another system with du on it. :)  But even still some distros of linux
might have different versions of du. FOr example, demon linux is trying to
put together a distro with all BSD-licensed software, getting rid of all
the GNU tools.

Bill

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Ed Landa wrote:

> > Well, Geoffrey's command worked (not sure why at all) but it pointed out that
> > the /home/drew/.xsession-errors file was alledgedly 842MB. I looked in the
>
> > ]$ du -s /home/user/* /home/user/.??* > /data/3.txt -m
> [...]
> > 842	/home/user/.xsession-errors
>
> du reports, by default, in units of 1024 bytes, so you file is actually only
> 842KB.
>
> Ed

---