[ale] MySQL Problem

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 15 09:52:52 EDT 2002

On Thursday 15 August 2002 09:25 am, Kevin O'Neill Stoll wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm having a problem with a MySQL instance that I have set
> up. Each day when I get to work my users complain that the
> site is not working. When I investigate I see that the
> database server is not responding. I check to see if the
> deamon is still running, and it seems to be but I can't get
> any response from the server. So I restart the server and
> everything is fine until the next morning.
>
> I believe that after so many hours of inactivity that the
> server is shutting down but I don't understand why the
> processes are still alive. I have looked at the log files
> but I wasn't able to find anything there. I have searched
> for shutdown problems with mysql but I can't seem to find
> any clues as to the solution to the problem.

I think I have heard of this problem before. The most likely thing is that you
have a cron job either killing mysqld or some process that it relies on. And
it probably runs nightly, thus shutting things down for the users who arrive
first thing in the morning. I think the problem was covered in the MySQL
mailing list, which is a very good one and has searchable arhives at:

http://www.mysql.com

Sorry my memory is not more specific.

---