[ale] KDE 3.0.2 for RedHat available

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Aug 15 09:00:42 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 12:12, Jim wrote:
> There are also RPM's built against gcc 2.96 that will not require you to
> upgrade gcc or libstdc++. They are available at:
>
> ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/RedHat7.3

I tried both the ones I recommended and these that you recommended.  I
prefer these.  The ones I pulled had a problem with selecting in konsole
and were missing cervisia.  the ones from texstar have both those issues
solved, as well as some cool themes.

Thanks,

Michael

> If you get the RPM's from RedHat, you will find that kdebase does not include
> kmenuedit, which allows you to edit the pop-up menu. Somehow, RedHat never
> makes it easy to use KDE. I hope these two end their pissing match soon.

RH does other funky stuff.  They supply a patched version of QT, causing
problems with porting applications to RH.  I'm on a mailing list for
Kaptial, a commercial KDE-based quicken replacement.  They are having
enormous trouble getting it to work under RH.

--Michael

> On Tuesday 13 August 2002 12:00 pm, Fulton Green wrote:
> > This will probably require upgrading libstdc++ and simultaneously
> > installing a "compat-libstdc++" for the other C++-based apps on your
> > system, but ...
> >
> >   $ ftp ftp.redhat.com
> >   Trying 66.77.185.35...
> >   Connected to ftp.redhat.com (66.77.185.35).
> >   220 Red Hat FTP server ready. All transfers are logged.
> >   331 Please specify the password.
> >   230 Login successful. Have fun.
> >   Remote system type is UNIX.
> >   Using binary mode to transfer files.
> >   ftp> cd /pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS
> >   250 Directory successfully changed.
> >   ftp> dir kdebase-*
> >   227 Entering Passive Mode (66,77,185,35,57,169)
> >   150 Here comes the directory listing.
> >   -rw-r--r--    1 529      529      18765961 Aug 12 16:28
> > kdebase-3.0.3-1.i386.rpm -rw-r--r--    1 529      529         75856 Aug 12
> > 16:28 kdebase-devel-3.0.3-1.i386.rpm 226 Directory send OK.
> >   ftp> 221 Goodbye.

---