[ale] Hot Point RAID and Linux

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 14 10:52:46 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 08:47, Charles Marcus wrote:

> Surprising.  How lomg ago was this?  Do you by any chance remember the model
> of the Escalade?  Or whether or not the Escalade was any faster than the
> other cards?

I think it was an older one.  I do not know the exact model #, but I do
know that it was limited to ATA66 xfer rates for some reason or other.
The bios controlled RAID 5 rebuild took for blasted ever too...  Very
frustrating.  Thats the one thing I like about the linux solution, you
can do other things while the array is rebuilding.  Of course some (but
not all) raid cards support this as well, so its not Linux software raid
exclusive.

> I have heard nothing but good things about the Escalades, but my
> understanding is they introduced some new technology a year or two ago whcih
> greatly increased their performance and reliability - know anything about
> that?

Not really.  We were only working with that card for one particular
customer, so I was not fully exposed to the technology.  Now that I
remember, the card I had was so old that I had to do a bios upgrade to
even do RAID 5 at all on it...  So this may be why it did not perform
well.

> Charles

Mike

---