[ale] Stupid M$ windows crappy software %#$^*(

phrostie pfrostie at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 06:58:46 EDT 2002

on several ocassions my wife has askjed me to turn one of my linux boxes into a

windoze machine for the kids.  everytime i've tried it's been an exercise if in
frustration similar to what you've described below.  fortunately, they are
starting to like Linux and it's games.  from time to time i have to boot drdos
for commanderkeen but that is it.

--- "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> Every once in a while, usually when it's time to pay bills, I will stoop
> to fixing a windows box for money, not love. Every time I swear I'll
> never do it again, ESPECIALLY for Win98 boxes.
>
> Scenario: 2 year old Dell, win98, antivirus software installed but not
> running (a common occurrence), critical M$ Windows update breaks EVERY
> ^@%#$ application on the box. Uninstall and reinstall fails to resolve
> breaks all over. Fdisk, format, reinstall win98 (and M$ complains about
> Linux being hard to install!!), reinstall all apps (thankfully all data
> was backed up by obsessive/compulsive user), reinstall anti-virus
> software (Norton) and bring it up to current.
>
> To bring Norton to current required 9 separate downloads each followed
> by 9 separate reboots (it's the windows way. Change your background
> image, reboot the box. And people PAY for this stuff?!) Finally it's all
> "current" and time to do the last task, make the emergency boot and
> repair disk. But the #&$% app will only crash the box! It will start to
> run, claim it's "initializing" then it blue screens and hard locks.
> Arrgg! It is a repeatable error, too. Follow the direction and the box
> will crash.
> --
> James P. Kinney III   \Changing the mobile computing world/
> President and CEO      \          one Linux user         /
> Local Net Solutions,LLC \           at a time.          /

> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux