[ale] SASIxp System Req'ts Interpreted (was Re: [ale] New Twiki topicLinuxInGASchools)

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Tue Aug 13 08:21:47 EDT 2002

<snip>

> My conclusions:
>
> 1.  A complete SASIxp implementation can be run ENTIRELY on
> Open Source software (e.g., Linux, Samba) as long as the client
> app can be run effectively in Wine or something similar (this opens
> up the door to a LTSP implementation)
>
> 2.  If the client app absolutely must run under Win32/Mac, then
> Linux/Samba/AppleTalk can probably completely handle the server
> requirements while the client apps run on their native OSses.

The only thing I would add here is, again, the mention of using a
Linux/Win4Lin/Tarantella server to allow the LTSP workstations to run
Windows sessions for any Windows only apps they need to run.  This provides
the best of both world - it allows the full implementation of LTSP and its
attendant stability/ease of maintenance, and allows a user to fire off a
windows session at will.

<snip>

> 5.  By running the file server using Linux and Samba, steps can be
> taken to maximize the server's performance by compiling the Linux
> kernel, other operating system software, and server daemon software
> (e.g., Samba) for the server's specific CPU and configuring the
> server without extraneous kernel code employed or unused services.
> This means that pre-existing or surplus hardware can be used whereas
> otherwise new equipment might be required.

Here, I have to *strongly* recommend the use of Gentoo linux for the
Servers.  It has no equal when it comes to performance optimization - and
its package management system is awesome - still immature, and prone to
occasional bugs, but awesome.  Give it anothe 6 months, and no other distro
will be able to touch it.

Charles

---