[ale] New Twiki topic LinuxInGASchools

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Aug 12 22:06:58 EDT 2002

If you had a round-robin DNS or something akin to TurboLinux Cluster
Server (about $2K last I checked), that's one way to go.  The thing is,
though, you're talking about engaging several machines to run several
instances of apps which, if run all on the same machine, might actually
make use of shared memory (my LTSP rig running Mozilla more than once
suggested this).  Consider further that many instances of the same app
run on a single system receives even more benefit from L1/L2 cache.
This might be something to keep in mind as regards using separate app
servers; if you wanted to take this to the extreme performance-wise, run
your major app and only that app on a single server so that its L1 and
L2 caches stay as full of that app's image as possible and doesn't get
pushed out by anything else (granted, kernel, X, kdm, and whatnot will
do that some).

I may be wrong, but I don't think this is a very good use of the MOSIX
model.  Consider that CPU usage for most desktop apps is very bursty and
therefore running many instances of such apps tends to not hurt very
much because the bursts interleave with very little instance-to-instance
impact.  I know that some have tried to use MOSIX to make a Web server
cluster but I'm unclear as to how that's supposed to work without making
the "home node" work too hard.

MOSIX, to me, is best thought of as a "batch engine" that works with
"fire-and-forget"-type processes.  A good example would be a compile
farm; execute a "make -j" on the main node and stand WAY back.

- Jeff

---