[ale] I have a Firewall problem and need help.

Jonathan Glass jbjrglass at cox.net
Mon Aug 12 18:22:23 EDT 2002

Are you trying to run Outlook through the firewall?  If so, then you
have to do a registry hack to force the Microsoft Exchange Directory and
Information Store services (I think that's their names) to static ports.
Otherwise, Exchange will randomly choose another port for these
services, and you'll have to modify your firewall accordingly...

Here's the link from Microsoft on the reg-hack.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q155831&

If you are trying to forward email in, you have to redirect inbound port
25 to the exchange server.  Comment: It would be VERY wise to setup a
second machine (*nix, sendmail) as a mail-redirector, and filter all
incoming messages using the email security tool from
http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/.  If you need help, I'll be glad to
help you.  This one thing cut out 99.9% of our email viruses immediately
upon implementation.  The other .1% come from people checking their
personal mail in Outlook...<mutter mutter grumble grumble>..

HTH

Jonathan Glass