[ale] Sun,Linux,Java, oh my

Bao C. Ha bao at hacom.net
Sun Aug 11 16:28:09 EDT 2002

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 03:43:36PM -0400, Cade Thacker wrote:

Hi Cade,

> Does linux not currently use linuxthreads?

Yes.  And Linuxthreads is suck!  it needs to be strenghtened
and fully compliance with POSIX.  I do realize that the
Linuxthreads maintainers have done the best job but the Linux
kernel has not cooperated in the following problems.

- Each thread seems to have its own PID.  Do a "ps" and it
lists the threads and processes.  This causes so many problems!
- Does not handle signals right.
- Multithreaded process cannot do asynchronous I/O with SIGIO.
- Files are locked differently by threads from the same process.
- _POSIX_THREAD_PROCESS_SHARED
- Performance of threading services is not up to par compared
to Solaris or AIX.
- Weird interpretation of the kernel's mmap system calls!

> When you say Linux VM, are you
> talking about a deeper JVM or more alongs the lines that the VM that Rik
> van Riel/Andrea Arcangeli wrote?

Not JVM.  It is the Andrea's VM in kernel 2.4.x that I have a
lot of problems.  Maybe we were pushing the limits by trying to
run Java on embedded systems that have 32 meg RAM or less.

Almost all of the problems I have had with embedded JVMs from Sun,
IBM, and HP are memory-related.

Thanks.
Bao

--
Bao C. Ha                    voice: (310) 675-3510
8D66 6672 7A9B 6879 85CD  42E0 9F6C 7908 ED95 6B38

---