[ale] Suse and user profile and more notebook networking

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sun Aug 11 02:34:39 EDT 2002

Sergio Chaves wrote:
> On Red Hat we have a tool under network to switch user profiles without
> having to log-off/in and all that.
> I used to use two different profiles, office=static ip, and home=DHCP.
> Does Suse have anything like it?

Behold ye section "8.1.4 (Notebooks) Configurations for Changing -- Schemes" of the SuSE 7.3 System and Reference manual documents usage of the /etc/pcmcia/*.opts files, but nothing of any configuration tool.

I would think it could be adapted for non-PCMCIA features too.

Most of my home computers have SuSE, that being a static config, I've never played with this under SuSE.

Alas my laptop runs RH, so I would be greatly interested in finding the name of the tool ye spoke of.

--

On a similar note: if anyone knows a hack to prompt you at boot time for (D)HCP or (S)tatic config (and then allow me to select a pre-configured item, or key it in manually), I'd love to hear about that too.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
  Keith

---