[ale] [OT] Supplemental HVAC for server rooms?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Wed Aug 7 11:21:47 EDT 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Hey guys, I have a quick question for ya about adding supplemental AC to
> a server room.  We're relocating the company to a new floor of our
> building (6th from 2nd).  The server room is approx 12'x12'.  The room
> has an existing AC duct from the central Air Conditioning for the suite.
>  Since all the servers are going to be consolidated into one room, we've
> decided to add supplemental AC to the room.  The AC unit is a floor
> standing unit about the size of a wine chiller (19 inches  wide by 3
> feet tall, about 20" deep).  The AC unit costs about a grand ($1000).
>
> Here's my quandry:
> I think that a single unit will be sufficient to cool the room.  One of
> my co-workers says we need 2 of them.
>
> I know that cooler is better for machines; however, our company has been
> cutting costs lately, and if we don't need the second unit I don't think
> we should purchase it.  I belive it does something like 12,000 BTUs.
>
> We have an AS/400 and an RS/6000 in the server room along with about 7
> linux and 1 NT support servers (Samba, etc).  Can anyone shed any light
> on this for me?

As long as you don't mind emptying those little buckets every 4 hours,
it'll work fine. The APC model I have will turn the server room into a
meatlocker in about 20 minutes. This room is 11x22 and houses more servers
than you indicated you will be running. How big are the IBM boxes?

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security

---