[ale] Brodband routers

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 7 10:16:49 EDT 2002

cfowler wrote:

> A friend and I were discussing the idea of purchasing 802.11B/Ethernet
> DSL routers for our home.  currently I use Linux as my firewall because
> I use NAT to allow only SSH in.  Is there a good unit that can be picked
> up at Best Buy or CompuUsa that provides good needed functionality?  We
> are looking at the Linksys 4 port + 802.11b unit.  Security is also on
> our minds.

I've got a 4-port LinkSys box in front of my cable connection.
It's trivial to configure it to drop all external connection
attempts. I've also got it set up to forward SSH connections
to a Linux box on the inside LAN.

As far a I know, I've never been the victim of a hack. But
then, I just now enabled the logging function on the
router :-P, so how would I know??

Cheers,

-- Joe

---