[ale] OT: Microsoft moves to comply with DOJ settlement deal]

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Tue Aug 6 17:03:21 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 15:58, cfowler wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 15:50, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Fulton Green wrote:
> > > Yeah, but the inline comments also mentioned that the APIs would be fee-
> > > based, so that was what I was calling attention to.
> >
> > That's why I suggested you check out the url, which does indicate the
> > free api's.
> >

> > Maybe the original
> > > poster to the newsgroup was describing another set of APIs. Not that it
> > > matters a whole lot; turns out even the most basic Visual Studio .NET
> > > package will set you back at least $600 (or $1000 if you don't have an
> > > upgrade path). There are stand-alone editions of Visual C++ and Visual C#
> > > for $110 each, but still, why should I have to pay for the privilege of
> > > developing for M$ OSen when I can develop for Linux or Java for free?!?
>
> Because employess at M$ have Children, Spouses, etc.. They need food and
> shelter and nice cars.  But I totally agree on Non-profit = Non-Fee.
> Profit = Fee.  Even on the OpenSource side I feel this way.  Which could
> be a little strong. If you want to make a buck on someone's free
> contribution, then they need a piece of that pie.

Well, hang on a second - I'd dare say that if Microsoft were to adjust
payroll upward until the company was just breaking even, even the
secretaries would be driving McLaren F1s.

I feel that MS charges that kind of money because they have enough
blinders-on loyalists among present and wannabe programmers that will
just pay up without question.  Now, it's usurious enough that it would
make ME look for alternatives even if I didn't know anything about Open
Source.  I mean, have you ever gone to Barnes and Noble and listened to
the people sitting there in the cafe with their laptops and grousing to
each other about how much all those .NET books cost?  I would really
love to say, fella, come down THIS aisle with me...

- Jeff

---