[ale] Ignorant Newbie

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 5 08:55:39 EDT 2002

Julia,

On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 21:11, Julia Malvina wrote:
> I was just wondering if there's a class somewhere that gives you an introduction to Linux.  I've installed it on an old computer but am not sure about some of the terminology and other basics.  I feel like if I understood just a little more I might be able to move along faster.

	Please allow me my usual plug for a great book (in my opinion!).  "The
UNIX Programming Environment" by Kernighan and Pike, ISBN
0-13-937681-X.  Copyrighted 1984, but still relevant today on Linux.  It
starts with an introduction to UNIX/Linux shell interaction, and
proceeds through shell programming, and thence to C programming.  While
you may not wish to go that far, someday you WILL want to produce a
shell script that automates those 4-5 commands you seem to type all the
time ;-).

	As others have noted, we're always here!  Drop any questions you have
on the list!

Danny

---