[ale] Patching a linux kernel

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Aug 4 00:26:16 EDT 2002

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question on taking my 2.4.17 kernel to 2.4.19.  Usually I just
> install the new software.  But this time I'll patch.  Should I just
> patch to 2.4.18 then patch to 2.4.19?

Yes.  From the kernel source README:

   You can also upgrade between 2.4.xx releases by patching.  Patches are
    distributed in the traditional gzip and the new bzip2 format.  To
    install by patching, get all the newer patch files, enter the
    directory in which you unpacked the kernel source and execute:

                 gzip -cd patchXX.gz | patch -p0

    or
                 bzip2 -dc patchXX.bz2 | patch -p0

    (repeat xx for all versions bigger than the version of your current
    source tree, _in_order_) and you should be ok.  You may want to  remove
    the backup files (xxx~ or xxx.orig), and make sure that there are no
    failed patches (xxx# or xxx.rej). If there are, either you or me has
    made a mistake.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---