[ale] Re: partition hell

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 1 21:41:10 EDT 2002

Well, things are somewhat clearer, even if I'm not much better off. I
expanded the DOS partition on this disk using parted from my Linux drive
before it died. Apparently, this leaves the partition table in a strange
state that fips can't handle. The system indicator is 55h and fips can
only handle 4 or 6. Fips also indicates there are three partitions,
while DOS fdisk says there is only one. It may be time to write to the
author of fips, since I can't get parted to function in Windows with
this drive (I did it just fine on another Windows system). If I were
more of a DOS weenie, I might know how to edit the partition table, but
I'm lost there. I'm still open to suggestions...very open.

Jim wrote:
> My Linux hard drive finally died (never again for Western Digital!). Now
> I'm trying to partition my existing drive for Linux. My preferred tool
> is parted on boot and root disks. But I can't for the life of me get a
> good write of the images to disk using rawrite. It pretends to do
> something, but nothing gets written to the disk. If I try fips, it says
> it can't work with a system flag of 55h and exits. If I try to boot to
> DOS only from Win98, I get a prompt and then a message about my
> soundcard and I can't get back to the prompt from there. At this point,
> I'm almost ready to nuke the entire drive and start over. Any suggestions?

---