[ale] [OT] DMCA and KAFKA (was DMCA the gnashing of teeth)

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 1 12:15:51 EDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 01:29:19PM -0400 aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 July 2002 11:33, you wrote:
> > If Kafka were still alive, he'd probably entitle one of his novels,
> > _Death of the White Hats_.  Come to think of it, that sounds like a
> > great subject for another off topic thread!
>
> >  What would Kafka entitle a novel about the DMCA?
>
> This ones' too easy.
> The title  would be "The Monopolamorphoses", of course.
> ;-)

How about,  "Hacking in Amerika" or "The Mis-Trial" or probably
something underivative.  Maybe "The Foot Shooters", "Death of the White
Hats", "Hacker Trial", "The Non-Coders", "The Computer-Law Makers" or
something.  The crazy part is that the very protectors of computer
security are themselves most at legal risk due to the DMCA.  They're the
ones who bring the holes to everyone's attention in the first place,
since the Black Hats certainly don't reveal their discoveries.  So maybe
the novel should be called, "The Greyhats"?

I don't know.  There really ought to be a special legislative branch
especially for computer law legislatures.  Legislators really shouldn't
legislate without a clue.  Or at least there should be technical
qualification standards required before a politician can even come close
to a computer-related law.  These characters we have now seem to cause
more problems than they solve with their law making.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net