[ale] disk usage

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 1 08:05:42 EDT 2002

you want to run du against / if you want to know the usage of the root
disk.  To determine the used space for a particular drive, you need to
run du against the mount point of the drive and it must be mounted. If
the drive has multiple file systems, run du agaist each and sum the amounts.

I wouldn't use a root partition in such a way that it would cause it to
run out of space.  You could really screw up your system that way.  But,
if that's the only space it'll fit do the following:

df /
du the_iso_image

df will tell the available space on /, du will tell the size of the iso
image you're trying to move.  Simple math will tell you if you're good
to do the move.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---