[ale] cdr problems

Mark Hurley debian4tux at telocity.com
Wed Oct 31 22:54:06 EST 2001

Have had NO problems with cdrecord...

Actually, my luck falls exactly the opposite way.  On a PII266, I have
an HP8110i, have burned numerous CD's using cdrecord and have yet to
have a bad burn.  And I was quite skeptical at first, having used ONLY
Adaptec's software on windows.

However, under a PII300 using Adaptec's software on windows, it seemed
like always having to ensure the latest firmware, drivers and software
was in place...and then pray.  (this is partially attributed to my
expensive purchase when these puppies were new, and everyone was using
the terrible Zip drives. :) )

I have been very surprised that no errors have occurred on Linux.
What began as a test, has kept the burner permanently installed on the
Linux box.

Check out this link on the CD burn HowTo:

  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

Also...have attached a sample script which I run to ensure my IDE CD
player is properly configured to begin burning.  (it's attached)  The
script is taken from the HOWTO.

Have fun!

Mark Hurley