[ale] cdr problems

Ken Nagorski kenn at pcintelligent.com
Wed Oct 31 19:42:36 EST 2001

Hi there,

Has anyone played with IDE cdr's? I have on and this is the deal, whenever
I run `cdrecord -scanbus` I get this error.

Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jrg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.

But this is what dmesg shows,

hdd: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 1024kB Cache, DMA

So with that said, let me tell you where I am at. I have this in the
/etc/modules.conf

options ide-cd ignore=hdd            # tell the ide-cd module to ignore
hdb
alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi

Now there is a little problem, I am not huge on using modules however,
shouldn't those load when I boot? Did I do something wrong? Cause I see no
modules when first boot. If I load all of those by hand I still get the
error. Hmm?

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Ken