[ale] funky characters

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Oct 30 08:30:17 EST 2001

Fletch wrote:

>     esoteric> I'm attempting to replace some funky characters that
>     esoteric> were left in a text document when it was converted from
>     esoteric> Word.  In place of apostrophes, there is (in vi) ~R
>     esoteric> which vi sees as one character.  If I 'cat -evt file'
>     esoteric> it's listed as: M-^R
>
>         You want the `demoroniser' to remove moronic M$ ASCII chars.
>
> http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

Downloaded, attempted to make a dir for it and noted it already existed,
because I had already downloaded it before. (duh).

Did the trick though.  Thanks for the memory jogger...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport

---