[ale] HOWTO->run "LILO" from boot/root floppy ?`

Greg runman at telocity.com
Sat Oct 27 14:46:55 EDT 2001

I know that LILO sends error messages based on the number of characters in
the "LILO" string.  A error of "LI" is common and means that usually the
entire boot partition does not exist in the first 1024 cylinders.  A quick
check in the documentation says that this has been fixed in new versions but
many of the newer Linux distros still use the old one.

My Linux Admin guide says that the only thing to do is reinstall Linux and
make sure everything is below 1024 cylinders.  Sorry.  You might try some of
the programs that move stuff around if you are familiar with them.

Have you thought of using GRUB ?  IIRC it does not suffer from the same
limitations as the old LILO.

Good Luck,

Greg Canter

---