[ale] Hard time with ram disks

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Oct 24 18:21:21 EDT 2001

Will using a ramdisk smaller than specify give me a problem?  I thought
maybe my blowfish encryption was an issue.

I have a C file that is the only binary on the initrd.  It opens the rom and
then reads the 2 files on.  Placing both in different locations.  Each is
4mb in size and placed at 2 locations.  One to be mounted as root and the
other to be mounted as /usr.  I'm debating on even using 2 4mb files and
combining them into 1 8mb ext2 file system.

Originally / was a writable ext2 and /usr was a readonly cramfs partition.
But i had so many problems with 2.4.2 that I tried 2.4.12 and then 2.4.10.
I have a /log that is ramfs but it does not respect my maxsize setting.  It
apperas I can fill it up till my box crashes.

the blowfish was used to keep anyone reading the files on the flash to be
able to mount and reverse engineer the unit.

Anyone here have any design suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris