[ale] Programming Question - Where to Start

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Oct 24 14:48:03 EDT 2001

HI Joe,

I took what John said to mean, learning Python wouldn't help me a lot if
what I wanted to learn was Perl.  As for your last comment, does anyone know
of any kind of document that lists the 'best uses' of the different
programming languages/tools?  That might give me an idea, based on the
things that I want to accomplish initially, as to what language to start
with.

Of course, it goes without saying that there are many different ways to
accomplish the same thing, and there probably aren;t that many things that
you can do in one language that you can't do in another, but that doesn't
mean there isn't a 'best' choice - ie, something that Perl can do in 2 lines
that it might take 20 lines to do in Python, although, now that I think
about it, this is something that depends on the skill/experience of the
programmer, as one person might do something in 2 lines of Perl that somenoe
else would do in 10, because they didn't think of the 2 line method.

Obviously, I could go 'round and 'round about which is best, and wouldn't
get anywhere.  I think I'll spend a few weeks reading some books, and then
decide on either Python or Perl, and just plat it by ear.

I really appreciate all the feedback.  I now have a roadmap, so its time to
get my hands dirty.

Charles