[ale] Programming Question - Where to Start

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 07:51:51 EDT 2001

John Wells wrote:

> Why not use perl as a first language?

"Why not use C++ as a first language? It's not
-that- complicated..."Maybe not, but there
are far better choices.

Perl *is* complicated, and trying to learn it
might well be a very discouraging experience
for a newcomer to programming.

> I assume all people who subscribe to this list are
> reasonably intelligent.  It takes a reasonably
> intelligent person to learn and understand Perl.
> Learning python, java and sh to get to Perl is a waste
> of time.

That's the silliest argument I've read in ages.
You seem to be saying that Perl is the only language
worth knowing. What's up with that?

In software, as with any other creative endeavor,
it makes sense to use the right tool for the job.
There is no language that's the right tool for
every job.

Cheers,

-- Joe
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the
#  gorges? You can't MOVE for remote castles!" - Lu Tze re. Uberwald
# (Obsolete as of 2.4.12) Linux MM docs:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html

---