[ale] Programming Question - Where to Start

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 13:14:55 EDT 2001

Why not use perl as a first language?

I assume all people who subscribe to this list are
reasonably intelligent.  It takes a reasonably
intelligent person to learn and understand Perl.
Learning python, java and sh to get to Perl is a waste
of time.

If you shy away from challenges, then this approach
might be the way to go.  However, if you really want
to learn, and learn in the shortest amount of time
possible, dive right in.  You may be underwater for
awhile, but you'll soon learn to swim.

Perl is *not* that complicated.  And you learn a lot
by learning it.  Python, sh and java are all
worthwhile endeavors, but not necessary stepping
stones to perl.

John