[ale] Programming Question - Where to Start

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 10:16:40 EDT 2001

When I started with perl, I bought the camel book
first.  I was fairly new to scripting at the time and
found the camel book to be thorough but confusing at
times.  I then opted to buy the beginner's O'Reilly
book "Learning Perl" (llama) and found it adequate.  I
had read the "Gory Details" section in the camel
book...tried to understand as much as possible...and
then read through the llama book in less than a day.
The llama book fills in the gaps.

My suggestion would be to learn perl...buy "Code
Complete" ( a microcrap press book, but nonetheless a
great tome of earthy programming wisdom) and
"Programming Pearls"...work on some projects...make
some mistakes...and then decide if you want to pursue
a class or not.  Also, I'd recommend taking
programming courses at a university rather than at one
of the glorified tech *rapid training* centers.
University courses tend to be more interested in
teaching you something...

John