[ale] how many inodes ext2fs?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 21 06:08:17 EDT 2001

jenn at colormaria.com wrote:

> I've got this 46mb drive on which I put a big single partition.

I assume you mean Gb? It's going to take for freakin' -ever-
to fsck that thing. Like, multiple hours.

>  I didn't
> realise at the time that it would be used to store approx 20,000 IMAP
> mailboxes (lots of little mail files).  Am I in danger of running out inodes?
> Any advice on whether I should break this up into separate fs's or leave it
> alone (beyond the obvious management problem of doing ls -l on 20,000
> directories)?

I'd say, "break it up".

Cheers,

-- Joe
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the
#  gorges? You can't MOVE for remote castles!" - Lu Tze re. Uberwald
# Linux MM docs:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html

---