[ale] linux community need attitude adjustment?

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sat Oct 20 07:26:03 EDT 2001

Cade Thacker wrote:

> Please forgive any misspelling and grammer, i am typing in a hurry.
>
> I am hoping that this email will start a good discussion. I respect
> the opinions on the ALE list members and feel that good ideas and
> level heads are out there among you, so here goes....
>
> <baring my soul>
> I love linux and open source, I love what it stands for and what
> possibilities lying ahead of it, BUT the last few months I have
> become more and more frustrated with the community's attitude.  The
> other day, slashdot posted an article about there is soon going to be
> more Java coders than C/C++ coders. Most all of the comments saw this
> as being a horrible, horrible thing. One comment was something along
> the lines of "i'd like to see a DVD player written in java!."

First understand that most of the folks that post to /. are going to be
fringe.  Don't misunderstand me, I readl /. religiously, but I don't
believe you're seeing postings that represent mainstream Linux users...

<SNIP>

>  When
> OpenOffice(or whatever) is comparable to MS Office then I will then
> seriously consider switching them,

If you're speaking of strickly writing letters, many of the existing
Linux word processors are as good or better then Word.  My personal
experience is that people use about 10% of what Word does.  100% of that
10% is available in other word processors.

> but even then some of their law
> software is Windows specific!

This is an issue that's more difficult to deal with.  Same reason my
wife has a windows box for Printshop and my daughter has one for games.
Barbie's hairstylier doesn't run on Linux...

> Will I replace their windows NT server
> with a linux box? maybe one day, but if it ain't broke, i ain't
> fixing it.

Ah, but the point is, NT server is broken, so when will you replace it?
:)  Seriously, I've been running a Samba server for a while.  There are
others who have completely replaced an NT server with Linux and it's
been transparent.

> Anyway, I am a little off topic, but the main point of
> this email is:
>
> Does anybody else think that the linux community in general has a bad
> attitude?

Yes, I do, I often have it.  Had it yesterday when I was on a conference
call and was told that a new WEB BASED application would only work on M$
OS with IE.  My comment was, why?  Why would you build a web based
solution and not make it portable?  Then again, why are they moving from
HP workstations to Windows based PCs?  Often times, people make almost
irrational statements because they have a better understanding of the
flaws in the system...

I'm doing better though.  I try not to come across as a zealot, and do
more explaining of my position.

> maybe I am more of the Martin Luther King Jr type of change then the
> Black Panthers. Thanks for listening.

They were both successful in different ways.  Not that I justify either.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport

---