[ale] New kernel for non-dev machine

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Thu Oct 18 03:42:49 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I have a machine that does not have any development packages installed on
it (its strictly a firewall, and otherwise minimalistic setup) but I'd
like to upgrade the kernel on the machine. I know how to compile the
kernel on a separate machine, tar it up, move it over and run the make
modules_install and all that to get stuff setup but on this machine I
don't even have make. Of course, to make Make, I need make so I'm in sort
of a chicken and egg situation. I thought I might just do the "make
install" that I need to install make (this is getting confusing about
now!) by hand but a glance over the Makefile for  make and
I immediately get the sense that it would take WAY long and be WAY more
complicated than I'm willing to contend with. So, how can I install
something like make on this firewall machine so that I may later install
the new kernel and do a "make modules_install" on it? Or should I skip
trying to get make on the machine altogether and just worry about doing
the "make modules_install" by hand (also seems yucky)? Any advice
appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

---