[ale] DNS lookups slooowwww.....

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 13:18:28 EDT 2001

I'm setting up a machine with two interfaces...one to
a T1 line and the other to a private network.

My /etc/resolv.conf looks like:

search foobar.com
nameserver 198.153.233.2 # private network DNS server
nameserver 38.3.3.3 # external DNS
nameserver 38.3.3.2 # external DNS

This configuration allows both machines on the
internal and external networks to be looked up.
However, when I do a look up on an external site (like
www.linuxdoc.org), it takes about 15-20 seconds to
resolve.  Internal addresses resolve immediately.

If I move the external entries to the top of the list,
the external address lookups have no delay, but the
internal lookups fail.  Is there a way to configure
this so that both lookups perform efficiently?

Thanks,

John