[ale] home subnets

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Tue Oct 16 21:01:16 EDT 2001

My wife bought a new computer and wants to run windows.  I'm not
really happy about having two windows pcs on my home network,
because I figure they'll just infect each other with various
viruses and send personal information about my stuff back to
Bill.  I thought if I could segment my wife's new PC, running Me,
that would at least prevent it from telling Bill about everything
else I own, or whoever else her spyware decides to talk to.

So if I put her box on 192.168.50.X and I keep the rest on
192.168.0.X, I have several questions:

1) I guess I have to build a router, right?  Does it need to be a
bridge or just a router?  Would a LRP box do the job?  (I'm still
reading the docs on this...)

2) I would still like to share my mp3 collection with her.
Should I just export the shares via smb to her box through the
router?  Can I do that?

3) With her getting mail, she has an account on my mail server on
the 192.168.0 network.  Can she still get her mail on my server,
or should my mail server forward her mail to the router and put
her account on that box on the 192.168.50 network?

4) Where can I read for further ideas?  I'm feeling a little
drowned right now.  Last time I read the Net3-HOWTO, it was about
half it's current size.  :-\

5) Is a 486 with 16MB enough of a machine to act as her router?
(She has a P3 800.  Envy envy.)

TIA!

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net