[ale] Certification

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Oct 16 17:33:01 EDT 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, John Kerns, Jr. wrote:

> I am currently a GroupWise/Novell Net Admin. I play around with a linux box
> here and am interested in trying to get a job in the Linux/Unix Sys Admin
> field. What would you guys recommend for a certification since I don't have any
> real job experience?
>
> Linux+, LPI, RHLCE ??
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<ObDisclaimer:  I have a couple of RH certs>

I don't necessarily recommend certifications just for the sake of getting
certifications (since real job experience will always trump them), but if
you're going to get a Linux cert the RHCE is far and away the most
meaningful.  Unlike most exams, it's a primarily hands-on cert:  1/3 of the
test is written (1 hr), 1/3 is trouble-shooting (2.5 hours to diagnose and
fix 4 machines with unknown problems), and 1/3 is deployment (2.5 hours to
install a machine from scratch meeting a long list of specifications
regarding security, services deployed, kernel configuration, etc.), so it
actually requires some real-world hands-on ability to pass it.

later,
chris

---