[ale] no X?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Tue Oct 16 14:01:49 EDT 2001

Just upgraded my box to 2.4.12, latest debian Sid.  Now when I start X
it says:
(**) NV(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
        No such file or directory.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

waiting for X server to shut down

I've got a standard psaux (ps2) mouse plugged in.  When I compiled the
kernel that was enabled as always.

Help?

:wq!
                                \_       that important!