[ale] System Question

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Oct 15 07:58:29 EDT 2001

rob hoppe wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I am setting up a system to poll telephone switches and retrieve the
> trunk data for busy calls or unused trunks.  trunks is the name used for
> the connection to the phone line to the switch from the phone co.
>
> The polling system is going to run Visual Basic (linux version will
> work) with a 24 modem to t1 card for the polling.  The data will be
> transferred to a win machine for analysis via COBOL and sent to an to
> excel.  We will then publish to a web page and email to the client.  The
> web page will run on a linux server probably running aolserver?
>
> I am looking for open input.  My programmers know COBOL and VB. I liked
> what i saw in the aolserver.

You didn't mention what you wanted open input on, but it appears you're
referring to the aolserver??

IMO, you've chosen all the wrong tools for all the wrong reasons.
Appears you've chosen VB and COBOL because that's what your people
know.  I suspect that parsing/processing data would be done much easier
with Perl, although you've not specified what has to be done to that
actual data.  There are modules for Perl that will create your excel
sheets, although you didn't mention their purpose, so I assume excel is
a necessity.

Provide your folks the opportunity to gain new skills by choosing the
right tools for the job.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport

---