[ale] Network gurus input please (again)

jenn at colormaria.com jenn at colormaria.com
Fri Oct 12 17:27:54 EDT 2001

So I'm not a network admin. I'm barely a sys admin. ;)
I'm trying to work out some packet loss (5 - 15% during heavy traffic, 3 -
10% off times) on our network, and I'm really not good at troubleshooting
these sorts of things.

A network admin at our co-lo suggested that the auto-negotiation (their
switches run full duplex...our NICs autonegotiate) could be at fault, but
from what little I understand the packet loss and collision would be so
terrible that it would be immediately noticeable if that were in fact the
case.  Can someone please confirm/deny this?

Would a program like spray help determine where the loss is occurring under
heavy utilization?

Also does anyone know of any memory leaks or other troubles with kernel
2.4.7 running iptables with connection tracking?

Cheers
jenn

---