[ale] gnutella tips?

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Wed Oct 10 13:25:43 EDT 2001

Hi,

I was looking for some advice on the best ways to use gnutella to
get good MP3s.

1) Searching for what you want is easy, but actually *getting* it
is hard, since people have uploads blocked, firewalled, or they
simply log off by the time you finally connect to them.  How do
you actually get abc.mp3, once you've found it?

2) Are there programs that will keep a *hotlist* of what you're
looking for that week and manage to merge partial downloads?

3) Lots of files out on Gnutella et al are partial recordings or
are of dubious quality.  Is there a way to spot bad mp3s before
you download them?  (Obviously, if a file is 576K in size, it's
probably bad, I know.  But other tips?)

4) Right now, I'm using gnapster, lopster, gnut, teknap for
d/ling; mp3info, id3ed, mp3rename, mp3check, and Sonize to keep
them somewhat organized.  Any further ideas?

I'll have more questions later.  But I'd appreciate any help you
could pass along for now on these questions.  Thanks!

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net