[ale] tar probelms

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Tue Oct 9 08:37:34 EDT 2001

Been there, done that.

The problem is not with TAR, but rather with the ext2 filesystem, which
will not permit a file of >2.1GB.  When you hit this limit, TAR will
blindly carry on, just like nothing was wrong.

If you were using TAR for its original purpose (tape) then you could go to
whatever the length of your tape was.

A better idea, one that does not run into a file size problem, is to tar
the content, and pipe it to a second tar in a destination filesystem.  You
will end up with a replica of the filesystem in the new location.  Here's
how:

tar -cf - <files> | (cd <dest>; tar -xvf -)

For example, if I have a file system /aux1 and I want to replicate it to
/aux2, I would do this:

cd /aux1    #because that's the root of the tarball
tar -cf - . | (cd /aux2; tar -xvf -)

Does this help?

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.

---