[ale] Re: [ale-admin] Linux General Store

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Oct 4 09:51:24 EDT 2001

I'm posting this to the ale list rather than the ale-admin list.  You
might have a more takers on your request...

If you're looking for a provider who will give you some Linux based
support as well as have someone who knows something about it, I'd
recommend http://www.atlnet.com .  They do dsl, static ip, Linux
friendly.  It's pretty much a one man show, in that Todd the owner, does
the installations.  When he set up my dsl, there were routing problems
which he helped me figure out (it was my firewall).

I don't think you'll find any other provider who's going to give you
this kind of support.  Todd stays busy, but when you have a problem,
he'll get it straightened out.  I've been with atlnet for a while now
and I've been pleased.  I also work from home and have to have a
constant connection to work via vpn, so I might have a better handle on
support issues then the average guy who goes online a couple of hours a
day.

I have a relatively complex firewall set up for the average home user.
I've got a two machine firewall which consists of a bastion and choke,
with a dmz between.  I have a web server in the dmz and I have 7
machines (3 linux, 1 hpux, 3 windows) on my local network, behind the
choke firewall.  It's patterned after the book Linux Firewalls (Robert
Ziegler, New Rider
http://www.newriders.com/books/title.cfm?isbn=0735709009 ). It's been
tweeked a bit to properly handle masq/nat of ipsec and pptp vpn
connectivity.

I've also used Maximum Linux Security and Real World Linux Security to
harden my machines further.  I highly recommend Bob Toxen's RWLS
(http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/).

The point is, I'm no expert, but I'd be glad to assist you with
questions/problems.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"I don't want a Microsoft Passport, and Microsoft can't have my wallet."