[ale] Re: Webcam...

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 19:51:36 EDT 2001

Yes that was me and yes my webcam does work out of the box with redhat 7.1
What applications are you using to use/test the webcam driver with?

To user the driver, as root type:
>/sbin/modprobe ov511

That's all there is to it.  The device will user /dev/video0 or /dev/video1
if you have some other video for linux(v4l) device (TV card?).

I use xawtv to display and capture images from the camera.  I Don't use it
for much else.  I was looking at gnomemeeting couple weeks ago but I could
install the rpm because of some goof up in the rpm and one of the libraries.
I couldn't compile it myself because I didn't have or wanted to install a
full blown Gnome setup.  Anyone want to compile it for me?  :-)

If you still can't get it to work, take a look at:

http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/

They have quite a bit of information on webcams. especially ones based on the
ov511 like the creative webcam +

On Wednesday 03 October 2001 05:03 pm, you wrote:
> In an e-mail...
> From Calvin Harrigan to ccthomas at flash.net and ale at ale.org on last
> Wednesday at 14:28 EDST "I personally have a creative webcam II plus (USB).
> It worked right out of the box with Redhat Linux 7.1."
> That wasn't you ? If not I'm sorry ;-(
> -Brian
>
> > Who is Courtney Thomas?
> > As far as the Creative web cam goes, let me check it out.  I have one
> > around here somewhere...  :-)
<snip>
--
Signature?