[ale] Creating Filesystem

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Wed Mar 7 10:20:28 EST 2001

<SPAN
class=970271115-07032001>actually on a 1GB FS test mke2fs ran under 5
seconds.  This FS is a holding tank,  I do not shutdown applinace, I
power off
<SPAN
class=970271115-07032001>
<SPAN
class=970271115-07032001>Chris
<SPAN
class=970271115-07032001>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Bao Ha
  [mailto:baoh at linuxwizardry.com]Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001
  10:03 AMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: RE: [ale] Creating
  Filesystem
  don't think you can do much about the superblocks.  Why do you

  have
  to format the disk every time during bootup?
  <SPAN
  class=919530415-07032001>
  Can
  you expand an tar ball containing an empty filesystem
which
  will
  overwrite whatever on the disk?
  <SPAN
  class=919530415-07032001>
  don't think you can keep it under 10 sec, though.
  <SPAN
  class=919530415-07032001>
  <SPAN
  class=919530415-07032001>Bao
  <BLOCKQUOTE
  style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: owner-ale at ale.org
    [mailto:owner-ale at ale.org]On Behalf Of Chris FowlerSent:
    Tuesday, March 06, 2001 1:55 PMTo:
    'ale at ale.org'Subject: [ale] Creating
    Filesystem
    I'm creating a network appliance that has roughly 20GB of
    disk space.  At each system boot, I want to
    recreate the filesystem on the 20GB of read writable <FONT
    size=2>partition.  The facts are below:
    1.  The space is big 2.
    It will only store trival logs that are needed <FONT
    size=2>3.  It does not need to be saved at reboot <FONT
    size=2>4.  I do not need supreblocks all over the place.
    Questions 1.  Can I use jsut 2
    superblocks 2.  Can I create a loopback image,
    format it, and dd just wat is needed so <FONT
    size=2>    at bootup I can use dd instead of mke2fs?
    3.  Can I get this to happen at bootup in under 10
    seconds?
    Thanks, Chris